The Research calls will be via the ERANET ICRAD on One Health and the Horizon Europe Partnership BiodivERsA+ on Biodiversity and Ecosystems across Land and Sea
As part of Science Week, The Minister of State for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Martin Heydon, T.D., is pleased to launch two new research calls supported by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine Research Funding Programme. These are now open to joint research proposals from eligible Irish Research Performing Organisations (RPO).
The two new European research calls supported by the Department include:
- The European Research Areas Network (ERANET) Joint Call on International Co-ordination of Research on Infectious Animal Diseases (ICRAD) to support a ‘One Health Approach to Zoonoses Research & Innovation’.
- The Horizon Europe Partnership on Biodiversity, BiodivERsA+, Joint Transnational Call to support ‘The Protection of Biodiversity and Ecosystems across Land and Sea’.
These research calls underline the Department’s commitment to strengthening Irish researcher participation in new and existing European research opportunities, and to the development of more sustainable and resilient agri-food systems. They highlight the importance of ‘One Health’ approaches to animal health and welfare, as well as the importance of biodiversity and ecosystem health across agricultural and marine environments.
Referring to the launch of the two research calls, Minister Heydon remarked “It is vital to engage researchers from Ireland in collaborative research and innovation with other European research organisations, to build collaborative relationships and share expertise on the challenges and issues facing the agri-food sector. I welcome the focus on joint research and innovation efforts of the One Health approaches to animal health and welfare, and to improving biodiversity andecosystem health on land and sea. I am also delighted that important opportunities are available for Irish research participation in the new Biodiversa+ Partnership, established under Horizon Europe, and the collaborative funding arrangements between this Department, the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Parks and Wildlife Service for this research Call on biodiversity and ecosystems.”
Irish financial support for ICRAD’s ‘One Health Approach to Zoonoses Research & Innovation’ Call is being provided through the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine Research Programme. and The total public funding available to Irish RPOs in respect of this call is €600,000. Joint research proposals are sought by 15th December 2021 on the call’s themes covering:
- The development and integration of new generic tools and systems for better prevention and improved preparedness to react to infectious animal disease outbreaks.
- The design and development of new or improved vaccines, diagnostic and surveillance tools and vaccination/immuno-stimulation.
The BiodivERsA+ Partnership call supporting ‘The Protection of Biodiversity and Ecosystems across Land and Sea’ is jointly funded nationally through a collaborative partnership led by the Environmental Protection Agency and supported by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine and the National Parks and Wildlife Service. Through its Research Programme the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine is providing funding of €600,000 in respect of this Call to successful Irish RPO research proposals that have agricultural relevance to the Department. Joint research pre-proposals are sought by 30th November 2021 on the call’s themes covering:
- Knowledge for identifying priority conservation areas, establishing effective and resilient ecological networks, and enhancing species-based protection.
- Multiple benefits and costs of biodiversity and ecosystem protection: synergies and trade-offs.
Both research calls opened on 1st October 2021 and further detailed information on the Research Calls can be found through the following websites and contact points:
gov.ie - 2021 ERA-NET Co-fund Call on International Co-ordination of Research on Infectious Animal Diseases (ICRAD) ‘One Health Approach to Zoonoses Research & Innovation’ (www.gov.ie)
ICRAD: Call2 PP (submission-icrad.eu)
Ireland National ICRAD Contact: Philip Kennedy email@example.com
DAFM BiodivERsA+ Contact: John Harrison firstname.lastname@example.org